Friday, October 03, 2008

Tinkering with Building

Today involved a little more practice with Second Life, and reading up on some of the building elements. After a lot of mucking around with different elements, I managed to construct my first chair (that's me sitting in it):

While it isn't the most glamorous object - I had a friend describe it as a leopard print toilet - it's a start, and I'm feeling more comfortable with some of the building tools.

I've also come across some helpful (if not slightly profane) Second Life building tutorial videos, which has offered some excellent advice (these notes are mostly for my own reference as I'm learning, but they're very helpful to have!):
- Camera controls: ALT + Click on object, can spin camera around that object, as well as in and out; ALT + CTRL + Click on object, can move camera up and down as well as spin
- Under the View menu, you can select whether the property lines display or not, to make sure you don't build on your neighbours' property

After some more video basics, I tinkered with actually putting walls and windows together on the property. It's slowly coming together, although it's still a ways off yet! I've left what I was doing on the property, although I'll likely rework it beyond recognition as I learn more about the building process.

No comments: