Thursday, September 25, 2008

Web Literature 101

First day on the job, and I think things went pretty well! Today's focus was on hypertext fiction, and like any good junior researcher, I started at the centre of all Internet knowledge: Wikipedia!

From there, I managed to find links to some interesting examples of hypertext fiction (not sure if they're ones you've found in the past, but hopefully it's a start):

- Six Sex Scenes, by Adrienne Eisen - Interesting fiction, first person account of a woman, beginning with sitting in a therapist's office with her partner.

- trAce Alt-X Archives - Archive of a selection of new media writing on the web. Used to host awards for New Media Writing, but I can't find any evidence of a current competition.

- After bringing up the notion of hypertext fiction with a friend, they pointed me in the direction of Interactive Fiction. They're text-based games that are heavily narrative driven (of course) which need a special program to read them (which can be found here at The Pectoral Skybreak Spatterlight. It runs interactive game files, which come in AGT, Adrift, AdvSys, Alan, Glulx, Hugo, Level 9, Magnetic Scrolls, TADS (text-only), Quill, and Z-code file formats. Instead of clicking on links to get to the next part of the story, the reader enters in commands to get to the next part of the story, making it more puzzle-like than hypertext fiction. I played through part of one called Babel which came recommended to me. Haven't gotten very far, but from what I've seen it's well written, interesting, and fun.

No comments: